Finding the right hat to suit your face shape.
So many people have said to me over the years that they don't suit hats... my reponse is usually that you just havent found a style that suits you yet. Not every style of hat will suit every person but the key to finding a hat which will suit you is knowing your face shape, once you know that its easy to find the hat which will work best for you.
Heart Shaped - wider at the forehead and narrower at the jawline.
- AVOID large crowns or brims that will only add to the width of your forehead and make your chin appear smaller.
- Mid brims or a slanted brim will help to add width to the lower portion of the face.
- Heart shaped faces always look good in Cloche Hats and Pill Box styles.
Rectangular Shaped - the face is longer than it is wide.
- A deep crown or an upward flared brim or saucer style hat will work to cover the forehead and break up the length of the face.
- AVOID narrow brims or pointed crowns that will only emphasise the length of the face.
- Wide brimmed hats work well for Rectangular shaped faces.
Round Shaped - face is equal in length and width.
- Use sharp lines, assymetry or slanted brims to minimise the roundness of the face.
- AVOID tall, rounder crowns, wide crowns and wide brims.
- Round shaped faces always look good in Fedoras, Cocktail Hats and Caps.
Square Shaped - has a strong jawline, wide cheekbones and forehead.
- Use curline lines and rounded shapes to soften the features.
- Assymetrical or slanted brims work well.
- AVOID boxy shapes and styles and sculptural pieces.
- Square shaped faces will always look good in berets, bowler hats and caps.
Diamond Shaped - narrow forehead, wide cheekbones and narrow chin.
- AVOID styles that create a defined line across the forehead, straight brims and floppy sun hats.
- Look for styles that elongate the face and make the forehead appear wider.
- Medium to large brims, upturned or slanted that create more shape around the face.
Oval Shaped - wider at the cheekbones than the forehead and chin.
- You've hit the hat wearing jackpot if you have an oval shaped face as you can pull off any style of hat!
A good milliner can help you to find the correct hat for your face shape; we will also consider your height, body shape and colours to esnure that your bespoke hat or headpiece make you look and feel truly amazing on your special day. Email me at [email protected] to discuss your bespoke design.